June 15, 2012

FAQ: "Why do you travel a lot?"

I've been asked this question a gazillion times and I always feel that people are exaggerating.

Firstly, I don't travel "a lot". Secondly, they always make me feel weird about myself everytime I answer the question. It's as if I am from a different world unfamiliar to them and they give me that "don't-brag-about-your-travel" look.

Personally, I firmly believe that LIFE is SHORT, cliche as it may sound! I've consider myself goal-oriented and knows what I want. Life is short so why not enjoy it while you still can?! My way of enjoying it is seeing the world as much as I can. For some people, they enjoy life by working their asses off or taking care of their families. Others are contented with their inner world (whatever that is). That is perfectly alright...as long as they are happy doing it.

The world that I want to enjoy are the places outside my comfort zone, the unfamiliar and sometimes unknown. I remember my first flight outside my hometown Cebu, my eyes were wide in amazement at how that little plane could take us to another place in less than an hour, above the clouds. The people in Manila were different from us Cebuanos. Although I was with my parents, I took notice of how we treat each other differently and at how we respond to good and not so nice situations. That experience opened my mind to the possibility that it will be much more different and difficult in another country. For awhile in my adult years, I never dreamt of traveling outside Philippines because of fear that I will be treated differently. I was too comfortable wandering in my little hometown and quite often visited other islands as well.

My relocation to Singapore opened a whole new world for me in terms of understanding others, adapting well to difficult situations, eagerness to learn something new and seeing more places. When you are in a place with nothing and no one familiar, you either accept or leave. I am glad I've decided to open my mind broadly enough that I been loving this place for 5 years.

Ever since, I've been craving and dreaming to visit a new place. I've been to quite a few now on my list and I'm still adding up more :) I always feel I am a different person when I am travelling and that emotion makes me feel peaceful inside. Even in difficult situations where patience is tested to the limit, I've become more accepting and humble. Of course it varies from person to person.

So why exactly do I travel "so much"? I reckoned, I just want to waste my money on experiences that I don't normally encounter/learn/emerge myself with in my comfort zone. If that is wrong, then I don't want to be right :)




No comments:

ShareThis