February 09, 2013

Chiangmai Thailand on a tour package


It was our first time to join a tour package. I can't recall why I booked it in the first place when in fact we have been to Thailand quite a few times already :) I initially thought that the deal was a steal only to find out there were lots of hidden charges and flight schedules were limited. What a bummer! We didn't have a choice but to push through with the trip with additional expenses on weekend flights and tour guide fee, which by the way was not mentioned in the tour operator's T&C. Oh well!

I have never been a fan of tour packages however, they are sometimes helpful when you are traveling with family or with the big group. But if you travel with your partner or traveling alone, please avoid booking one. It's more fun exploring the place without any specific schedule.

Anyway, enough of my rants. Here's what was included in our 3 day itinerary, which only included 2 days touring. 



First stop was a Chinese restaurant. Photo above is a bird's nest soup. I figured that these tour operators partner with shops, restaurants and other small businesses to rip off money from tourists. Glad we only tried the soup which tasted okay.

They also brought us to other small shops like those selling honey and other herbal teas. We only tasted what was offered for free and never bought a thing :D


Then off to a temple on a mountain top. I am never a fan of temples so I got bored :) It was opposite for the husband.


The umbrella factory was quite a sight. They showed us how it was crafted and how locals benefit from such business. I love the colors!



Dinner was an authentic Chiangmai food. They brought us to a huge restaurant with local performers and other tourists on a tour package as well. We had sticky rice (which I love), pandan chicken and veggies. Its eat all you can with food served by the locals.


Second day was another tour day. First stop was the elephant show. Ironically, it was the first time I watched an elephant show in Thailand even if I've been to the country quite a lot :) They do have amazing tricks but I am always half hearted towards these gentle giants. Sorry.


Also visited an orchid sanctuary.






Lastly, we visited the famous long necked village. I've read sad stories about them thats why I hesitated taking lots of photos. Some say they're housed in that village by a rich government official and forced to wear traditional costumes to attract tourists. I am not really sure if its true but whether there's truth in it or none, they're still worth visiting.




Before heading back to our hotel, we requested the tour guide to bring us to the market to try their exotic foods - the insects :) They don't actually taste as bad as they look. They're quite tasty especially when dipped in vinegar.


The hub and I spent the last day walking around the nearby alleys and streets to discover off the beaten track attractions. Luckily, we managed to find a few.

No comments:

ShareThis