August 10, 2011

Long term travel and my Inspirations.

After reading enormous travel blogs for my trip, I feel like I've been transported to places they've visited. I noticed that most travelers, backpackers or even travel bloggers have one constant dream...to travel long term around the world - may it be for months or 1 year. Obviously, after allowing myself to be transported, I am inspired to do a long term travel too :) But how? The first difficult question to answer :D (I will figure out the answer soon :)

Tomorrow will be the start of my European dream. It will be my first longest trip outside Philippines and Singapore. Three weeks is actually not enough to cover and visit the places I wanted to visit but needless to say, enough to see the famous areas...for now. I would have wanted to extend and backpack to other cities but like most employed travelers' excuse..work got in the way :D Anyhoo, I will have my time soon and I will surely cover as many places I want and immerse myself to the culture and talk to as many locals as possible :)

So you wonder where I got all these crazy ideas??? Of course, from the equally-crazy-but-passionate-travelers... They're all Filipinos, by the way :) Yes, we are capable of long term travels too :D

Here are some excerpts from a PhilStar blogger interview about long term traveling.

What made you decide to travel long term?
Flipnomad: I have always wanted to travel the world (or some parts of it). I tried having vacations every year when I was still employed and realized that it’s an expensive way to do it. Flying back and forth to your home country cost a lot compared to having a continuous journey. Another reason is I want to travel continuously just like the travelers that I’ve met on the road. I was inspired by them to live this unconventional life of being a “nomad."

2. Lillian Cobiao  - I learned a lot from her. And got really helpful tips for my trip especially on how to pack light :) Before reading her, I have a 3 week worth of clothes and amazingly, I managed to pack good for 10days only. Imagine my husband's surprise and worries :)))

What advice can you give those who are considering traveling long term?
Lilliane: Do it! It's going to be life-changing I'm so sure. Also travel slowly, live the local life, don't plan too much. Let the moment decide your destiny. Of course, always be careful and paranoid.



What's great about traveling long term?
Lois and Chichi: You have so much time to immerse yourself in the culture, get to know the locals, experience more than what the guidebook suggests.

These people made it sound so easy to prepare and travel long term. Reading and following them made me realize how much I wanted to see the world but at the same time reminded me of my priorities. If long term travel is not at hand in the near future, I am happy to settle for short trips and adventures for the meantime.

How about you? What are your latest adventures and crazy ideas?

2 comments:

Josephine Sicad-Minerva said...

Yosh! cant wait for your travel photos and stories from Europe ateh!

---
stay safe always! my turn to miss you in 3 wks! hugs!
---

and yes to long term travel! i wanna start my long term in japan obviously and cover the rest after heheh

Jam Santos said...

wow europe! would love to go on a month-long vacation there one day. best of luck on your future trips! :)

http://diaryofamodernmariaclara.blogspot.com/

ShareThis